6 Feb 2008

Junior Cruising Class - Onslaught of the Cute



Monday afternoon, the boys waited and waited and waited to board the MS Color Magic. Not even at Christmas did 15 minutes feel that long. Finally, the doors opened and thanks to somewhat lower stature, Mathias and Benjamin easily pushed their way through the crowd, leaving the rest of their travel party behind.

They had a destination in mind, and their efforts were crowned with success when the boys were the first kids to make it into the ball pit. Thanks to their acrobatic climbing skills, ball-throwing prowess and intricate battle cries, they also managed to scare off any other kids who may have been wanting to join in on the fun:



But you gotta love the attention span of the under 10 crowd. Once the playland had been thoroughly explored and secured - ie. 5 minutes later - we were hit by a tidal wave of requests to go swimming. Though we were graciously granted circa 30 seconds to settle into our cabins, we were all present and accounted for at Aqualand before the ship had even left the Oslo harbour:



And yet again, the boys conquered everyone in their path with almost unbearable cuteness.

Or maybe that was just me?

No matter, others were worn down with sheer persistent cheekiness (including the lifeguard who eventually gave up whistling at their repeated jumping into the water from the edges and refusal to use the stairs).



Although eventually, even little tummies realized that no lunch had been had that day, slushie notwithstanding:



A final swim down the lazy river followed, whereafter we proceeded to gather up our things and head back to the cabin to get ready for a buffet dinner that legends are made of. From the seafood to the burgers and hotdogs to the ice cream and chocolate fountain, the boys' very own table was a little slice of heaven:



After dinner, a small window of opportunity presented itself to spend some of the parents' hard-earned money:

Option A - going to the Adventure Planet games room and using 10's of dollars on a machine that eventually yielded an absolutely useless toy with just enough battery power for two Japanese tunes before it conked out.

Option B - the classic approach involving a stop by the taxfree shop to pick up several oversized bags of candy.

But in the spirit of all things buffet, why choose?



Money thoroughly blown, the boys settled into their front row seats in the show lounge. Neither of them really wanted to be there, but they were overruled by their pesky older brothers.



[I hasten to add that once there, they were absolutely hooked, and couldn't wait to go back the next night].

Then a quick stop by the cabin to fix up their 'do's:



Before a final couple of hours roaming the ship on their sugar-fuelled highs. Thankfully, Benjamin's elevator phobia was short-lived, and he was able to take full advantage of the elevators.

A good thing, that.

Because, even though I admit to being completely biased, what could be cuter than a 7 and 8 year old having drinks (aka apple juice) in the 15th floor Observation Deck bar, ordered and paid for by themselves?



And that, my friends, was the end of Day 1 - The Junior Cruise.

44 comments:

Melissa said...

oh gosh that looks like soo much fun. Here it is snowing! :(

LoriD said...

I love that they bought their own "cocktails"!

Don Mills Diva said...

They will remember these times their whole life - looks like they're having a ball!

Jenn Casey said...

Adorable! The cocktail picture is great!

By the way, I don't know if you were aware that I have nominated you for a blog award:

http://rationaljenn.blogspot.com/2008/01/e-for-excellent-award.html

Love your blog!

ewe are here said...

Wow, and Ramekin thought the ferry between the UK and Norway was fun... this looks fantastic for kids.

I personally enjoyed the ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki when the days are super long... it's a stunning ride ... should you have the time.

Anonymous said...

That looks like far too much fun all round. Glad you remembered your camera.
Cheers

Julie Pippert said...

Very cute and fun!!

Candy said...

You and that family have way too much fun. Save some for the rest of us!

She She said...

Man, that looks like so much fun. And I wish my hair could do that dippity-do trick!

brneyedgal967 said...

Can I take them home with me? Boys with spiked hair -- too, too cute! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Tammy

Mary Beth said...

They seem like they're having a ball. If I could just get over this pesky seasickness, it looks like a really great time! And I love the hair!

dawn klinge said...

They are going to have such wonderful memories. I very much enjoyed all the adorable pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Christie said...

That sounds like absolute boy heaven.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

So, very very cute, they look like they had an absolute blast, it even looks fun to me:)

Beth Cotell said...

Looks like a WONDERFUL day!

familymclean said...

Oh, I love it!!! I totally want to go on a cruise and now I wont hessitate to take the kids too....like I wouldn't, they never leave my side;)

What fun, I love the photos!!
Cheers!

Amy said...

i love the photos. i feel like i am living vicariously through your adventures. will you keep taking me along on your journey?

i hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Amy said...

i love the photos. i feel like i am living vicariously through your adventures. will you keep taking me along on your journey?

i hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Kat said...

Nope, it is not just you. Those boys are absolutely precious! What fabulous pictures. Thank you for that wonderful recap. I soooo want to take a cruise now.
I just love that they had to fix their hair before going back out. HA! How cute ARE they? Sheesh!

And the pic after swimming, drinking a slushie with bluish lips? Priceless.
Love it!

Karen MEG said...

Wow, that's the Junior cruise?! What fun, I still can't get over all the activities they have for the boys there!
And, will we be getting an update on the Adult cruise too ;)?

kim-d said...

Oh Heidi, that looks so fun! The boys look like they're having a blast and what can be better than that? And is it just me, or is there something about those bony little boy chests that are just too cute for words? Awwww! I love that you're sharing your vacation with us...snap some pix of the buffet food, would ya? HAHA!

When you get a chance, head on over to my place to my post for today. I think you'll like it ;)!

Steph said...

Looks like a great time!! Glad everyone had fun. The boys and their "cocktails" picture is too cute!!

Jennifer said...

Too. Much. Fun. !!

Also, they should pay you to advertise for them. I have no desire to go on a cruise, yet you have me wanting to go!

Kellan said...

Are they having a BLAST or what!?! How fun and how lucky are they to be on such a great ship - great trip!? I'm glad they are having such a good time - it makes me so happy to see their happiness. Enjoy! See you soon. Kellan

Kyla said...

How fun! I bet they are just beside themselves with it all.

Anonymous said...

How totally cool. Those are some lucky boys.

jennwa said...

That look like so much fun. I could use a cruise right about now. I am glad you guys had such a great time.

Mrs. G. said...

It isn't just you. They are cute squared!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh my, THAT truly looks like all sorts of FUN!

chichimama said...

You must teach me how to cruise with kids. So much fun!

Lisa said...

More cuteness please!
They look like they are having the time of their lives!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

2 apple juices straight up...how adorable!!

Hallie

Anonymous said...

After reading this, I can honestly say for the very first time I want to go on a cruise!

Ice Cream said...

I'm sure those two cuties could run the ship with just their good looks. How adorable.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

How adorable. All four boys will always remember this trip and how much fun they had.

Stomper Girl said...

I wish my boys and me could come along with you because that looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

OK, that last picture is absolutely priceless AND adorable!

What a fun trip!

Kristi B said...

The boys are adorable! how fun!

Victoria said...

Yep - that last picture is PERFECT! Your boys look so happy and loving. What a beautiful family, Heidi. I enjoy seeing their adventures!

the dragonfly said...

I'm glad the elevator fear didn't last, that could have been exhausting!

And seriously, that hair??! Oh my. Gotta love it! :)

Anonymous said...

It looks like everyone is having a blast! Love all the pics - the boys look so cute!

Anonymous said...

It looks like everyone is having a blast! Love all the pics - the boys look so cute!

S said...

A little envious over here.

What a fantastic time that looks to be!

theotherbear said...

That looks like the coolest cruise ever. The one I went on had a really crap little pool. Nothing like that. I'll have to find one like this next time I cruise!